This is one of my favorite tips. I discovered early on that emergency rooms visits and doctor appointments were a way of life. Waiting was difficult for me as much as my loved one. Most ER visits run 5 to 7 hours before you will know whether you will be taking your relative home or waiting for admission.
I created a crisis bag, using a washable tote. Keep it by the door you use to leave. Included are:
- Current medications list for your loved one, dosage, drug name and when last taken.
- At least 2 bottles of water or juice.
- Since cell phones are often prohibited, a book, magazine or crossword puzzle are good alternatives.
- Snack bars.
- Hand wipes and travel kleenex.
- Your own medications if needed.